- (2 T) Vegatable Oil
- (1 Pound) Smoked Ham Cubes
- (3) Carrots, Peeled and diced
- (1 Large) Onion, Diced
- (2 ribs) Celery, Diced
- (6 cloves) Garlic, Minced
- (4 cups) Chicken Stock - 1 quart
- (2) Nitrate-Free Smoked Ham Hock
- (6 cups) water
- (1 pound) Dried white navy beans
- (2 teaspoons) Fresh Thyme, Minced
- (1/2 teaspoon) Black Pepper
- (1 Tablespoon) Red wine vinegar
To speed up cooking time, soak beans for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours before cooking.
Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until just smoking. Add diced /cubed ham and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, water, hocks and beans. Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until beans are completely tender and soup is slightly thickened, 2-3 hours.
Remove hocks from pot, let cool and shred meat and add to pot. Stir in thyme, pepper and vinegar and Serve.
This soup can be made ahead and kept in refrigerator for several days, beans will continue to soak up broth. You will need to add water at a 1/4 cup at a time until the desired consistency is arrived at.
If you need to soak beans in a hurry. Add beans to a pot, cover with 3" of water, bring to boil over high heat, cover then take off heat and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and cook as directed above.